The St. Charles Outreach Coalition Against Human Trafficking SCCAT recently held a Symposium sponsored by the AAUW grant. This Symposium was held at the St. Charles Community Council in the library on Spencer Road. The theme of the Symposium was “Breaking the Chains of Modern Day Slavery”.
The opening session was presented by Jillan Anderson as keynote speaker from the St. Charles County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney on what is happening with Human Trafficking in St. Charles County.
Following the opening session were three breakout sessions, each presenting a different aspect of human trafficking and how to be aware of it and how to approach the evils of this modern day slavery. The presenters of the breakout sessions were the following:
- Session One – Amanda Mohl and Detective Dan Maixner spoke on the “Vulnerability and Recruitment.”
- Session Two – Deanne McPherson who presented a slide presentation with practical information on human trafficking.
- Session Three – Amanda Colegrove and Austin Farrish who together addressed “Victims and survivors.”
The closing session featured Christine McDonald, a survivor for human trafficking who spoke about her own recovery from years of being a victim. She is also the author of the book, Cry Purple.
We were well pleased and happy with the attendance as it surpassed our expectations.
Sisters of the Most Precious Blood, some members of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), Ballwin-Chesterfield branch, and Amanda Colegrove, Coalition Against Trafficking and Exploitation (CATE), started a new group, St. Charles Coalition Against Human Trafficking, several years ago. The group incorporated in 2014 and is now an official non-profit organization that meets all the requirements specified by the State of Missouri for a reputable non-profit organization. The SCCAT Bakhita Center is located at 206 North Main Street in O’Fallon, MO, in a former chicken coop that was converted to an art studio and is now the SCCAT office and training center.
- Sr. Esther Hogan: Executive Director
- Barbara Butchart: Vice Chair
- Dr. Pat Shores: Secretary
- Sr. Ruth Kertz: Treasurer
- Bonnie Dillard: Board Member
- Carol Derington: Board Member
- Shima Rostami: Board Member
- Christine McDonald: Board Member
- Amanda Colegrove: Coalition Against Trafficking and Exploitation (CATE), Advisory Member
- Amanda Mohl: International Institute of St. Louis, Advisory Member
- Karen Francis: Advisory Committee Member
- Maria Citrowske: Advisory Committee Member